How to write a reflective essay?
A reflective essay is an analytical form of writing. It is a personal response to issues, situations, events, experiences or new information. Giving a personal opinion has no wrong or right. Each individual is entitled to won thinking. However, having a plan and the right way to pass your thoughts to your audience is of great importance.
Tips to start off a reflective paper
- Examine your thoughts and pick out an experience
- Ensure that you have a deeper understanding of the issue you have in mind
- Choose the format as this changes according to the target audience
- Write an outline of your essay. An outline acts as a map to direct you throughout the writing process.
Steps to aid in structuring a reflective essay
- Scrutinize the essay question
- Look at the marking criteria
- Pick the event to write about
- Maintain anonymity
- Write your essay
Similar to other writing techniques, a reflective paper also consists of an introduction, body and a conclusion.
This part tells the reader the purpose of the essay. You need to set out your thesis statement. Offer a brief definition of terms and the reflective model and explain the focus of your essay. However, do not bombard the reader with a lot of information at this section. Be, short, brief and precise but relevant.
- Describe the experience by either using the cause and effect approach or the compare and contrast one or any relevant process.
- Use a chronological way of detailing the experiences and do it systematically
- Have a critique to your writing.
- Avoid summing up your experiences but focus on making the reader be interested in your essay.
Concentrate on summarizing the points and supporting arguments in the body. Give an overview of any changes brought about by the events described in the other parts of the paper. As you end your essay, examine your tone, format and grammar. Unless stated otherwise, write in first person as you narrate personal events or imaginary concepts.
Retrieved from https://essaybasics.com/write-my-college-essay